Walnut & Hazelnut Ancona Egg Macaroons
These macaroons are so delicious. They're the perfect accompaniment to a cup of tea or coffee, or a glass of bubbles at afternoon tea time!
A surplus of Ancona eggs inspired us to concoct recipes that would utilise this versatile ingredient. This recipe only calls for egg whites, not the yolks, but ensure you keep the yolks for use in another recipe, like our Ancona Egg Custard.
This is a pretty quick recipe and only takes about 40 minutes to complete, from start to finish.
• 6 Ancona egg whites
• 1 1/2 cup walnut flour from Alpine Nuts
• ½ cup of hazelnut meal
• 1 1/4 cups icing sugar
• 1 tbsp vanilla extract
• Icing sugar for powdering optional
1. Preheat oven to 150 degrees celsius
2. Mix walnut flour, hazelnut meal and icing sugar together
3. With a hand mixer, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form
4. Slowly add icing sugar, hazelnut and walnuts, one tablespoon at a time and mix with a spatula until smooth
5. Add vanilla
6. Drop batter with a tablespoon onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, leaving about 2 inches in between cookies
7. Dust with some icing sugar (optional)
8. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until cookies are golden brown